Retracing My Steps

When I started my website in October of 2011, I operated under the principle that I was going to say what I had to say and that if you didn't like what I said then that's just too damn bad.

But times have changed.

See, as sad as it sounds, I have toned down my rhetoric and become less opinionated as time has passed. It's a bit disheartening really. I mean, my loyalty to a driver can be bought with a simple follow on Twitter. I'm honestly not sure why a professional athlete would ever follow some college kid who spouts off his mouth from time-to-tome, but hey, I never complained. I'm thankful to interact and connect with drivers in the sport I love, but I should not continue to let this cloud my judgement and entrap me from speaking my mind. That will cease to continue.

Lately, I've been doing some deep analysis of myself both on my website and on Twitter. With decreased website activity (partially caused by hectic academic life and partially because of marginally opinionated articles) and a decline in Twitter interactions, I began to comprehend why this was. I realized that it may be caused by me straying away from who I am and the foundations that I built myself on that caused many of you to follow me in the first place.

So, from now on, some things are going to change: 1) No more generic posts on the website. I'll leave season reviews and analysis pieces to the pros at RACER and Motor Sports Talk. 2) I won't let my allegiance bought with a follow, it'll have to be earned. Too often in the past have I instantly become a fan of a driver not because of their track record and skills, but because they follow me. While I'll remain civil and not let things escalate to a personal level, I will not keep my comments on a driver to myself just because that driver follows me. If they can't handle an honest, civil opinion, then I honestly don't want them following me anyways. 3) Tying in with that last one, I want to get more conversations going both on my site and on Twitter from the opinions that I share. To do this, I will share more opinions on Twitter and keep the opinion pieces going on my site. Winners and Losers, which has been the most successful series of blogs on my site will remain, as it always sparks good conversations. And Fantasy Indycar will remain for years to come because there are many people, including myself, who enjoy it. Other than that, expect me to go back to the way things were.

Above all, I'd like to thank you all for following me on Twitter and my site. I'm eternally grateful to all of you who take the time to read my site, follow me on Twitter, and share your thoughts to any of the opinions that I share. But I can't put my heart into something if I can't be honest and give 100% of myself to the task at hand. I will not allow me opinions to be constrained at the hands of others, no matter who it is. I hope no drivers or followers hold it against me for being honest, but that's just the way it's going to be.

Thanks to all who follow, interact, and enjoy Indycar with me! Thanks for reading and, as always, let me know what you're thoughts on the post are.

-Matthew Hickey