Season Review: Carlos Huertas

In a series of blogs that will be featured throughout the offseason, I review and talk about 21 full-time drivers in addition to extended part time drivers (Carpenter and Conway) in an honest and opinionated format. I would ask you to share your opinions on my thoughts as well as your thoughts on the driver and their season. Enjoy:

Carlos Huertas
#18 Dale Coyne Racing

20th in points scoring 314 points.

Best finish: 1st (Houston #1)
Worst finish: 23rd (Houston #2)

Wins: 1
Poles: 0
Avg. Start: 17.9
Avg. Finish: 15.9
Change in position: 36

Grade: D

Sure Carlos Huertas was a rookie. Sure Carlos Huertas was a no name until getting a practice ride with Panther Racing. And sure Carlos Huertas won the first race at the Houston doubleheader. But I was still very underwhelmed by Carlos this season. For one, I think Dale Coyne and race strategists pretty much stole the win at Houston for Toronto. Sure he had to do plenty to get that win, but I don't think the win came on pure race craft.

For two, I don't see Carlos making a return to Indycar in 2015. The problem was his performance on ovals. I know that I would never just get in a car and drive on a 200+ MPH oval, putting my life on the line on a track that I'm not comfortable on. I feel like Carlos feels the same. He seems to be in-line with Mike Conway's thinking, as in ovals might not be his thing. Retiring from "driver illness" at Fontana seemed slang for "I don't feel comfortable at all."

While Carlos had some positive moments in 2014, I wasn't all that impressed with his season. He lacked results and qualified consistently.. Consistently bad. With a whole host of drivers waiting to get into Indycar, I have a hard time seeing a driver with the performances like Carlos returning to Indycar in 2015. Without the win, this season would have been an utter dud.

Carlos Huertas - ABC Supply Wisconsin 250: Day 3
Photo: Jeff Zelevansky / Getty Images North America

2014 Season grades so far:
Mike Conway - B+
Carlos Huertas - D

Stay tuned for P19 Graham Rahal!

-Matthew Hickey