Tuesday, May 14, 2013

O'Gara Readies for Indy

Kyle O'Gara is preparing to make his Firestone Indy Lights debut on Carb Day for the 2013 Freedom 100 at Indianapolis. O'Gara has been racing in USAC for the past couple of seasons, but has tested an Indy Lights car before at Kentucky in 2012 and at Indy a couple weeks ago. I talked with Kyle recently to gather his thoughts on the upcoming race. Here are some of the things we discussed:

Driving for the top tier team in Indy Lights, Schmidt Peterson Racing in conjunction with Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing, O'Gara expects to do very well. When asked bout the team, Kyle said, "I can't thank everyone at SFHR Development and Schmidt-Peterson Motorsports for this great opportunity. The SPM team has proven over the past decade that they are the team to be with if you want to succeed. They have been very welcoming and helpful in everything that I need."

Kyle O'Gara
O'Gara testing at Indy (Photo: IMS / Indycar Media) 

Goals? Well, I've known Kyle for quite a while. He's definitely got the racer gene in that a) he is very good at driving, always kicking ass (obviously) b) he is a big critic of himself. All he wants to do is win. Kyle told me, "I have nothing but high expectations for this month of May. Going into the Freedom 100, I have put a lot of pressure on myself to succeed. I see no reason why I cannot compete for the win with the SPM team behind me. I expect my past oval experience to help along with advice from Sam (Schmidt), Sarah (Fisher), and Josef (Newgarden)." He also went on to say, "This is the biggest race of my life, with the most weight ever being out on my shoulders. I don't want it to sound like it is a MUST that I perform well, but it will definitely help."

Finally, I asked him what it means to be making his debut and how much it means to him to be racing at Indianapolis. Me personally, I faint just from walking in to the joint. Taking laps in a race car? That would give me some happy dreams. Kyle feels the same: "It means the absolute world to me to finally race at the famed "Brickyard." In my eyes, this is when you can say that you have made it. Now, it's time to see what I can do."

Kyle with car owner Sam Schmidt (Photo: Indycar Media)

I fully expect to see Kyle O'Gara succeed at any race he does. For the Freedom 100, which I will regrettably not be watching live, I can see Kyle going for the win. I will be cheering him on during his whole journey! One final quote from our conversation:
"The Freedom 100 has been something that I have been working towards my whole career. It is such a great stepping stone to make it to my ultimate goal of the Indy 500." -Kyle O'Gara

Thanks for reading! Click here to find Kyle on Twitter, make sure to follow him!

-Matthew Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment