Monday, March 4, 2013

Greatest Drivers of All Time #4: Richard Petty

In a series I am doing on the blog, I take a look at the greatest fifteen drivers in the history of motorsports, with some statistics and reasons as to why I selected them. Here are the previous drivers on the list:

#15 Jim Clark
#14 Dario Franchitti
#13 Sir Jackie Stewart
#12 Jimmie Johnson
#11 Michael Schumacher
#10 Al Unser Jr.
#9 Dale Earnhardt
#8 Juan Manuel Fangio
#7 Al Unser
#6 Alain Prost
#5 Rick Mears


Richard Petty


Born: July 2, 1937 USA
Race starts (USAC and Indycar): 1184
Wins: 200
Poles: 123
Nascar Titles: 7
Daytona 500 Wins: 7

The best NASCAR driver ever, period. I mean, 200 wins?! I had to a double take when I read those statistics. Richard Petty has been and always will be "The King." He made the number 43 an iconic number around the world. He won 27 races in the 1967 season alone! He also has the most Daytona 500 wins of all time with seven. Seven Daytona 500 wins. Unreal. Richard Petty carries with him an infectious smile and great personality, and he will be forever known as one of the greatest drivers of all time. 

Stay tuned for #3. Let me know what you think.

-Matthew Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment