Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Greatest Drivers of All Time #6: Alain Prost

In a new series I am doing on the blog, I take a look at the greatest fifteen drivers in the history of motorsports, with some statistics and reasons as to why I selected them. Here are the previous drivers on the list:

#15 Jim Clark
#14 Dario Franchitti
#13 Sir Jackie Stewart
#12 Jimmie Johnson
#11 Michael Schumacher
#10 Al Unser Jr.
#9 Dale Earnhardt
#8 Juan Manuel Fangio
#7 Al Unser

Alain Prost



Born: February 24, 1955 France
Race starts: 199
Wins: 51
Poles: 33
F1 Titles: 4

When I think of Alain Prost, I think of someone who never gets enough credit for all the feats he accomplished, as he is often overshadowed Ayrton Senna, and for good reason. I mean, it's Ayrton Senna. Senna and Prost hated each other. Problem for Alain was he was usually in the wrong, and Senna had a much larger fan base, thus people always looked at Alain in a negative manner. But you cannot ignore how amazing Alain was. In 199 starts, he won 51 races and podiumed 106 times. If my math is correct, which I'd like to think it is, he finished on the podium 50% of the times he took the track. He has four F1 Titles, putting him on the all time wins list in third place. But I feel as if Alain's offtrack life and the things he said and did overshadows everything he did on the track. Alain Prost is one of the best F1 drivers in history, and one of the greatest to ever strap into a car.

Stay tuned for #5. Let me know what you think.

-Matthew Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment