Tuesday, October 16, 2012

One Year Later

A year goes by, and I still can't fathom you not being here. It has been one year since one of the worst times of my life, and I certainly was not alone. That day of a knotted stomach and the thought that you were no longer with us was something I just couldn't wrap my head around. I don't think jubilation turned into sorrow any faster in my short 18 years of life. I was so excited to see a great Indycar race, but that took a turn for the worst after a short 10 laps. Just sitting there, thinking "He's alright, he's alright, he's alright." After about 90 minutes, I knew something was not right. But I didn't want to speculate. Then Randy Bernard gave us the news that we were dreading. Sitting there, not knowing what to think. Everything was a cluster of confusion, with hearts broken and tears flowing. 19 drivers then took the track and completed the hardest 5 laps of their career in a tribute to you, and it was equally painful to watch. It still hadn't quite hit me yet.

I miss your smile.

I miss watching you make daring moves as you did whatever it took to win races.

I miss seeing a meticulously well dressed man who goes through one bottle of hair gel a week.

I miss watching you celebrate your victory with your wife and two young sons.

I just miss you.

Sebastian Wheldon Indianapolis 500 Mile Race

And not a day goes by when I am not thinking about you. And yet, one year later, it is like you are still with me in spirits. I have to say, you have inspired me to start pranking a lot more! Just wait till my roommate wakes up tomorrow! You also taught me to enjoy life everyday and to always wear a smile on my face.

It's been a whole year since that terrible October day in Las Vegas. Indycar just isn't the same without you. But the show goes on, and you are in all of our hearts. I just wanted to let you know that, although a year has gone by, we have not, nor will we ever stop thinking about you.

And mate, you did a hell of a job on the new car. That machine did a fantastic job all season, as it continued to put on great shows race after race. The least anyone could have done was name the car after you. Way to go man, you did a fantastic job.

Thank you Dan Wheldon, for touching so many people during your great career; for going out of your way to reach out to fans; for thrilling us with pass after pass on your way to many wins; and for leaving us with an everlasting gift, a beautiful family.

I hope you racing with the legends in heaven. We have not forgotten about you mate, and we never will.

Much love,
Matthew Hickey

1 comment: