Monday, December 12, 2011

Taking a look at the rear of bumper of the DW12

Now bare with me in this made up by possible story. And also remember, I am not an expert in physics nor am I a doctor, I am merely trying to find the answer. So, let us say a Indycar has run out of fuel coming out of turn four at the Indianapolis 500. A car racing behind this car comes full bull out of the turn. It can't react in time to the slow moving car and it looks like a rear end impact is inevitable. Now, if this were the old Dallara, we would generally see a launching of the front wheel over the rear wheel causing the car to become airborne. But now that the rear bumper is on the car, all harm will be avoided, right?

My question that I pose for this very situation is that if a car runs head on into the rear of a much slower car, instead of launching, wouldn't this cause the car to come to a very abrupt and violent stop causing serious back injury as well has head trauma to the faster car as well as a sudden uncontrollable acceleration, maybe into the wall, to the car being hit thanks to the new feature of the rear bumper of the DW12? It seems like the car being hit would be violently jolted towards the wall at a higher rate of speed than it was previously traveling.


DAAAA Bumper

Please, I am looking for any feedback into the scenario and would appreciate any insight. Until there is a test of its safety impact, I don't think I can be 100% convinced of its significance to the safety side of the DW12. Thank you.


Talks of the bumper began after Mike Conway's infamous
crash at the 2010 Indy 500
-Matthew Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment